Combat your sweet tooth with these Dark Chocolate Donut Holes created by our functional nutritionist Andrea Nakayama. My kids think these are “real” donut holes. Shhhh!
DARK CHOCOLATE DONUT HOLES
Makes approximately one dozen, six servings.
1-1/2 cups raw almonds or roasted hazelnuts
5 tablespoons raw cacao powder
1 cup pitted dates, soaked in water if hard, then drained
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
Finely shredded coconut for rolling
1. Place all ingredients in food processor and pulse until desired consistency is obtained. Go for a cookie-dough like texture with not a lot of large chunks. You may need to add a little water.
2. Scoop out rounded spoonfuls with something like a mini ice cream scoop or a melon-baller.
3. Roll the dough between your palms to make a sphere.
4. Roll that ball in the finely shredded coconut.
5. Place finished balls on a plate, cookie sheet, or glass storage container.
6. Let sit in freezer for an hour or so before eating.
7. Store in freezer or fridge.
Love this recipe? Join barre3 Online and get unlimited access to hundreds of whole-foods based recipes created by our favorite chefs.